Tuesday 31 July 2012

The tube is almost conquered, a big thanks from me

So here it is - I am in to my final week. After 37 runs, 30 half marathons, 1 marathon, a fractured foot, torn cartilage in my knee, approaching 500 miles run, 12 lines completed, 264 tube stops visited, countless Mars bars and over £12,000 raised for Harry Moseley's charity I have just 3 runs left. Thank God!

The last few runs I have found particularly difficult - I went out to Watford on Saturday with 3 of my mates - Martin, Luke and Dave, we were hungover but still ran about 15k. Note to self - never run when hungover. It was on this run that I realised how much I hate hills! The run from Chorleywood to Ricksmansworth was disgustingly hilly and went under the M25. This run though was my favourite run so far, the reason is pretty simple - my dad was back! My dad who'd had a stroke around 2 months ago was back with Mars bars, back with gel's and back with his London A-Z - the thing that we started together, we would finish together. Harry was the reason I started this but without doubt my dad is the reason I have finished this.

Tonight I am running from Uxbridge to Rayners Lane by myself. Thursday I am running with Luke from Moor Park to Wembley park and then on Sunday, with the help of 40 or so friends I am running from Wembley Park to Aldgate - Aldgate is where it all began.

I'll write a proper blog post after all of these runs. But for now I just want to say a massive thank you. I wanted to raise a £1000 for a hugely inspiring boy - someone who showed me that to make a difference you have to be selfless, you have to be brave. More important than any of this he showed me that not enough is known about brain cancer, not enough is done to combat it, and that children up and down the country are dying because of a disease that we don't know much about. He wanted to help others, he wanted to make sure that none suffered his fate - whilst he can't do this himself anymore he has inspired countless people to get off their backsides and help. Help Harry Help Others.

I wanted to raise a £1000. I dreamt of raising £10,000 but had no idea how I'd do that. My friends and I have now raised over £12,000. I even won a community award from RBS (nominated by an incredibly kind guy called Gopalkrishna) this meant a further £250 to my total. All of this, this money raised, was made possible by how incredibly generous family, friends and strangers have been. You've totally blown me away.

I am not a runner. I did no training. I didn't change my diet. I never, ever really thought I could do this but you guys - the people who sponsored me, text me, encouraged me - got me round and for that I am truly grateful.

It's been the single toughest thing I have ever done but it has changed my life. If you take anything from the countless blog posts I have written - if you want something to change then you have to be the one to change it. Don't wait for something to happen, go make it happen. Harry did.

Thanks for all your support. 3 runs to go. Final run Sunday (you're welcome to join us).

Help Harry Help Others - www.justgiving.com/steven-whyley

Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment